Counter

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Favorite Apps for Staying Healthy

Don't worry, I was at a stop light!
Last weekend, this klutzy girl decided to face plant on the sidewalk in the middle of a nice walk home from Back Bay. Only 2 days before this happened, I got my new Fitbit in the mail. I was so excited to use it and see how active I am on a daily basis. And then…my concussion kept me out of commission for a week! This week I’m finally able be back at DanceFIT and I’m addicted to looking at my Fitbit and watching how my calories burned increases throughout each class. I love how it automatically updates to my phone and computer when I’m within range of them. Because of my obsession with my new toy, I decided to share some of my other favorite apps:

1.       Runkeeper

Runkeeper is awesome. I downloaded the app on my phone and simply press start when I begin running. You can alter the settings to update you as often as your prefer during the run about how fast your running, how far you’ve run, how long you’ve been running for, etc. I usually have it notify me every 10 minutes. I love this because I don’t have to plan a route ahead of time. Runkeeper is also great for setting customizable goals and training plans. It reminds you to work out and congratulates you on your accomplishments. On the Runkeeper website, you can see the progress you’ve made, your history, and create a “Street Team” of friends to help you stay motivated. Runkeeper recently came out with great new features to help you reach your goals at your own pace. You can read about these features in their blog.

2.       Myfitnesspal

“Workouts are easy, the real challenges are faced in the kitchen”. Well, maybe that’s not totally true, but even the best workouts can be ruined with an unhealthy diet. Myfitnesspal allows you to track your caloric intake at each meal by charting it, just like we do during 6FIT. Most foods are already in their database, making logging your food easy. By entering your weight, height, and desired weight loss goal, the app modifies the amount of calories you can consume each day. It even syncs with the Fitbit to log your fitness! I find this app useful because I can look up food before I eat it, especially when out to eat, to ensure I’m making a wise choice. Myfitnesspal also will track your fat, sodium, cholesterol, and most other dietary needs.

3.       Earndit 

Who doesn’t like getting free stuff for working out? Earndit integrates with almost all fitness apps and awards you points every time you work out. As you accumulate points, you earn credits that can be used to buy anything from healthy foods to fitness gear or even as a donation to charity. I have my Foursquare app, Runkeeper and Fitbit all synced with Earndit.



What other apps do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment