Counter

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Greetings From Aruba


Week #1 is almost over and I’m feeling great. I forgot how much better my body feels when I’m drinking 80oz of water a day. I feel hydrated, energized and healthy.

The food of the week is leafy greens. I made a delicious and high protein salad by combining kale, swiss chard, spinach, quinoa, carrots, beets, walnuts, sesame seeds, tomatoes, and sunflower seeds in a bowl. I topped it with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Delicious! Next week is quinoa week, so I can’t wait to make it again!

Today I left for a week long vacation to Aruba. Eating well while traveling is always a challenge,

especially at the airport. Though I had grapes and bananas at home, I had little else to pack with me for the flight.  Given that I left my house at 6am and didn’t get to the hotel until late afternoon, I had to find something to eat. The airport has limited options, but I was able to find a few good choices. The bookshop had a wall of trail mixes and nuts. I steered clear of the bags with chocolate, candy and dried fruits, and instead looked for options such as whole, unsalted nuts. The bookshop also had a variety of protein bars to choose from. I was sure to read the ingredients and nutrition facts of the bars to make sure they had only natural ingredients. Many seem healthy, when in reality there are not.  I opted for a bag of pistachios and a large bottle of water. The airport also had a variety of flavors of pop chips, a to-go restaurant serving customizable vegetable omelets, allowing you to eliminate the cheese (but they didn’t serve egg whites), and many salad options. With so many “bad” foods around, it is refreshing to see that you can eat well in an airport if you try!



I’m ready to finish week one off strong and begin week two. I hope Boston warms up for you this week..I’m off to the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment